Time travel has been an integral part of science fiction for as long as I can remember. I think it’s a fascinating concept. If you could go back in time, where would you go? What would you do if you could go forward in time? Would you make changes, if you had the ability? It’s a concept I explored in the second book in my series, Mirror Shattered. The team has to travel back to 1965 to prevent an alien race from stopping the creation of the Intergalactic Security Commission. The result does have a ripple effect. Truths were no longer facts. Some changes minor, but there were several major effects from the team’s actions.
When I started to write the short stories on the origins of the other characters in the series, a thought occurred to me. I wrote the story as a prequel to Mirror Image, but the actions in Mirror Shattered would’ve changed the first book, wouldn’t it? I had to sit down and draw up a timeline to figure out what I did in my own book. My father and I often get into discussions regarding if the events in the Back to the Future movies could’ve happened the way they play out because of the changes in the timeline.
It begged a question to me. What are the rules of time travel?
- Be careful what information you give. This one is obvious to me, but it still takes a considerable amount of thought. Maddie spoke semi-openly about her personally to Charlie, thinking the thirteen year old wouldn’t retain information. She also didn’t know about his identic memory.
- What happened in the past was supposed to happen … right? But then it wouldn’t be much of a time travel story if there weren’t some hijinks.
- Be careful what you wish for. But, to me, that’s a rule in life.
- Always be on your guard.
- Do the mission you set out to do. Don’t try to play hero and help. Remember, you weren’t there originally so whatever happened, happened without you there.
- Whatever you do, interact as little with people outside of your time as possible.
What do you think are other rules? Anything I missed?
On the 21st, book one in a new sci-fi romance series will release. Amethyst Chronicles: Winter’s Kiss, is an exciting story I can’t wait to share. Check out kgstutts.blogspot.com for two excerpts as well as a giveaway for the new series!
Views – 851